Saturday, April 7, 2012

Portfolio








As I describe here, most of my purchases were made based on stock-recommendations. I have myself not handled numbers and trends of any particular company. Though I understand the ratios and terms in fundamental analysis I never tried to make any analysis myself.
In October 2011, I decided to buy bank stocks. Made 3 lists 1) Banks with very low P/E buy OK OK fundamentals (reasonably good dividend history), 2) Good Fundamentals and low P/E 3) Good fundamentals and just a bit more expensive.
1) Corporation Bank, Bank of Baroda, Union Bank of India, Dena Bank, Allahabad bank, Canara Bank, SBI, Punjab National Bank

2) Andhra Bank, Indian Bank, Karur Vysya bank, South Indian bank, City union bank, Federal
bank.
3) Axis bank, ICICI and Yes bank.
With little money bought type-1 in Octo-Nov. With little more money bought type-2 in Dec. Unfortunately due to rise in prices of bank stocks from Jan onwards could not buy type-3. Bought a bit of ICICI in Oct. City union, karur vysya, south indian and federal were recommendations in Business- line

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/investment-world/stock-insight/article2601266.ece
Glodyne Technoserve: Noticed that it had a good fundamentals in the past years. Stock price went down due to income tax raid. Never recovered after that. I had no ideas about the future prospects. I bought mainly due to low valuation and past performance.
Maruti: Bought during the labor unrest and problems with the japaneese currency (yen).
Spice jet: In spite of losses made by almost all aviation companies this sector is a growth sector. No. of people using flights in the future will definitely increase in India. Took the risk with domestic carrier. It has no (negligible) debt unlike other companies.
Magma fin. Corp. and Dewan housing fin.corp. :
Noticed that FII have increased in non-banking financial companies in 2011 when the FII in other sectors is decreasing. So bought in Dec. Wanted to buy more in 2012 buy prices went up drastically.

Sun TV: This company has a monopoly in south india. Not sure of its prospects during Jayalalitha govt. in tamil-nadu but will do very well during Karunanidhi govt.
Rain commodities, Sundaram finance, Vardhman textiles, shriran transport fin. Corp. : No reason. Instinctive purchase.
Petronet LNG, Gujarat state petronet, Gujarat gas, Gail.
My purchase of natural gas stocks is due to this article about oil-gas sector in general and recommendations of these companies in particular. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/features/investors-guide/sectors-and-stocks-which-are-ripe-for- institutional-action/articleshow/12210682.cms
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/investment-world/stock-insight/article2723736.ece http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/investment-world/stock-insight/article3006671.ece http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/investment-world/stock-insight/article2801381.ece http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/investment-world/stock-insight/article2096569.ece
Tata Chemicals:
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/investment-world/stock-insight/article2421129.ece
maharastra seemless and Gateway distriparks and ashoka buildcom: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/investment-world/stock-insight/article2684187.ece http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/investment-world/stock-insight/article2308778.ece http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/investment-world/article2860836.ece
NMDC, Larsen and lubro (LT).
Large and good companies. Both of them have strong “moat”. NMDC is the largest producer of iron ore. It is a low-cost producer and it seems that its ore is of “high quality”. Has vast ore-reserves to itself. LT is technologically far superior to its peers. Expecting that its valuation will increase once the rate-cycle changes direction.

Cox and Kings:
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/investment-world/stock-insight/article2354135.ece http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/markets/article2957956.ece
I am going a little overboard with this stock assuming that its growth prospects are high which might show up after a few years.
Onmobile, essar oil and jagran prakashan are also recommendations from Business-line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment